10 October 2023

Satang Thai Takeaway, Haymarket

Satang Thai in Haymarket is an old established Thai takeaway restaurant in Sydney and their first original store. I remembered when I was still a Uni student and every time I miss the authentic flavour of Thai dishes, this place is to go for.  Their stir fry basil and pad thai are absolutely fabulous.  Their price is pretty reasonable too yet they're very generous with serving portion. 



Krapow Kai dow Giant - Stir-fry pork basil with fried egg $17.90

For me, this is the best dish in the house.  It tastes as good as we can get from street food stalls in Bangkok.  They are very generous with the minced pork.  The flavour is just spot on, very fragrant and spicy. 

Pad kratiem giant - Stir-fry pork with garlic and pepper sauce and fried egg $17.90

This is the way I like a garlic pork dish to be served.  Dry and to the point, just like a classic garlic pork normally served in Thailand.  Basically, a genuine garlic pork dish is just meat pieces stir fried with heaps of garlic, sauce and pepper.  No need to add something like carrots, paprika or other things, just like some restaurants do to make it more colorful or looking somewhat bigger serving.

 
Sweet chilli ling fish $19.90

It was a fine piece of fried fish, nicely cooked to a golden-brown battered fish.  However, the sauce was quite a let-down.  It didn't give me any punch, just plain sweet chilli kinda sauce. 

Pad Thai with chicken $13.90

Satang Thai done this dish perfectly, they don't let me down at all.  I can smell the char aroma from the wok hay, not as much as in char kway teow though.  But it was good enough to tickle my tastebuds.  And I like the tanginess from tamarind and sweetness from their sauce too. 

Ladna pork $13.90

Their ladna dish was pretty mediocre.  Good broth but the greens were slightly undercooked. 


Satang Thai Takeaway
20 Quay Street, Haymarket
Ph: 02 9280 0956
Open: Daily from 11am - 10:30pm

No comments:

Post a Comment