15 August 2023

Nua Lao Thai Restaurant, Haymarket

 
Eating in a Thai restaurant won't be completed without having Thai milk tea and o'liang (Thai black coffee).  The drinks were sweet but freshening. 




We went for a full-on Esan (Eastern Thai) food tonight, so sticky rice is the best partner to all of our dishes. 

Esan sour sausage $17.90

This fermented pork sausage was absolutely delicious.  Perfectly grilled and the right amount of sourness as well.  It is normally eaten with peanuts. freshly chopped chilies and ginger, also cabbage.  However, they didn't give me those gingers otherwise I will give 10 out of 10 for this dish.


BBQ chicken liver $3/stick

This BBQ chicken liver is another great dish for the night.  Nicely grilled, not overcooked at all.  And that brown sauce that they poured on the meat is surely to die for.  Slightly sweet but I scrapped clean from the plate with my sticky rice.  Honestly, I can't get enough of this sauce and I could finish the whole basket of sticky rice just with this sauce.  I didn't even try their spicy dipping sauce though because it is already perfect on its own.

Fermented sour pork ribs $19.90

Unlike the sausage, for me, this fermented pork rib hasn't got enough flavour in it.  It is too subtle for my liking.  I love it when it's more sour.  


Deep fried chicken $17.90

This chicken was an ok dish.  I say this simply because to be frank I can't really remember what it tasted like.  So, if nothing in my memory this dish must be just mediocre, nothing outstanding nor nothing terrible. 


Pork liver salad $19.90

This pork liver was overcooked, so it was a little tough.  It had a nice color with all the fresh sliced onion and herbs however, it didn't taste as good as it looks.  Quite disappointing.


Thai papaya salad with salted egg and corn $25.90

This corn papaya salad with fermented fish (pla ra) sauce was really spicy, pungent and got a nice balance of flavour.  It was sweet, salty, sour and spicy, in the right proportion.  It would be even better if they gave more of those salted eggs.


Sour and spicy tendon soup $16.90

This soup is another let down again.  The tendon was nicely cooked but the flavour wasn't there.  I didn't get the punch-on-the-face effect when I slurped the soup.  

In my honest opinion, their food is kinda hit-and-miss.  They do some great dishes but some not so great dishes.  But hey!!!  I will not judge them too early.  Next time we're in the city, we will give it a go for different menus. 

Nua Lao Thai 
203/209 Thomas Street, Haymarket
Ph: 02 9281 3180
Open: daily 11:00-22:00

No comments:

Post a Comment