06 May 2024

Japan 2024 Trip Part 17: Nanzoin Temple, Fukuoka

Previously:

Starting the day with a filling breakfast is very important, a filling food yet healthy and delicious is a bonus.  That morning, we had our first meal of the day in the foodcourt underneath JR Hakata Station, in level B1of Hankyu Mall to be exact.  Though I have been staying in Fukuoka for a few days, but I haven't got a chance to try their popular ingredient which is Mentaiko or pollock roe.  

I found this one shop where they sell mentaiko as a condiment that comes with a set meal.  So, I ordered this deep-fried fish set dish from Kaisendon Tempura Hakata Kisuimaru shop.  The best thing eating in food court is that everyone can be pleased under just one roof.  Each of us ordered a different dish yet we can eat on a same table.   


Kaisendon Tempura Hakata Kisuimaru

Deep-fried aji (horse mackerel fish) set meal 1,320yen

I ordered the deep-fried horse mackerel fish set meal, it comes with some sashimi and tiny bit of that mentaiko.  Mentaiko tastes slightly salty and the texture is soft and slightly creamy.  It enhanced the flavour of my steamed rice when I put them over the top of my hot rice.  That was one problem though, it was not enough mentaiko.  I need more!!!!!  For the fish itself, it was very crispy with light and thin panko breadcrumb on the outside and juicy fillet in the inside.  It was a satisfying meal overall.


Fresh salmon and ikura don 1,200yen - their salmon was super fresh

Seafood don 1,430yen (L)

Tonkatsu (pork cutlet) with rice 990yen from Ossys's Kitchen

Takoyaki 616yen


The food in this food court was overall delicious and those fresh seafood dons were no doubt fresh.  As they weren't my dishes, but judging from a piece of sashimi that I stole from my husband and my son's bowl.  The price is definitely for the locals, they are pretty standard not overpriced at all.  Finished with the meal, we needed to clean up after ourselves.  We have to return the bowls and cutlery to the shelf provided.  Each tray has to be returned back to the right shop.  

Done with our breakfast, we then headed to Nanzoin temple to visit the famous reclining Buddha.  From Hakata, you can catch Sasaguri JR line direct to Kidonanzoin-mae station that only take around half an hour train journey.  From the station, you'll then need to walk up hill that would take around 5-10 minutes passing through the Xylophone or Melody bridge before arriving the statue.  There should be a little mallet hanging in one end of the bridge for passer-by to use to hit iron bars above the handrails and you can hear some tunes.  Unfortunately, on that day, I couldn't find that little mallet and it was sprinkling and a wet day, so I won't be bothered looking for it.  But still, I did try it with my hands and I could hear a very soft soft tunes out of those iron bars.






On the top of the hill, you'll find what is claimed to be the largest bronze Buddha statue in the world.  Not only that, but there are also other nice spots to visit like other deity statues and unique shrines in this area.     






Outside the station, there is this small shop selling fried snacks like deep-fried chicken drums, kawa or crispy chicken skins and also sweet potato fries.  While we're waiting to get our food, I noticed this guy was holding the hot iron-handle of the fryer with his bare hands.  Like another master of Osaka's flamethrower.   



Kaisendon Tempura Hakata Kisuimaru
Level B1, Hankyu Department Store, next to JR Hakata station
Ph: +81 92 419 5107

Nanzoin temple
Open: daily from 10:00 - 16:30
Entrance: Free

Stay tuned for the next blog still in Fukuoka:

No comments:

Post a Comment