10 January 2012

Wasabi Bistro, Surry Hills


Recently, I just got this dinner voucher for Wasabi Bistro from my best girlfriend who know that I really love eating out and I've never been to this restaurant before which is a big plus..  Hence, I then straight away made a booking for one Saturday night.  Apparently, on Saturday for this set courses meal seems likely available at 7.30pm, but again I'm not too sure with any other day.

The restaurant has a quite large space... huge I'd say and the seat setting is so plain black and white colour dominant..  Very unlike any other Japanese restaurant, perhaps this is more influenced with the Western touch.  Once we seated, they showed us with the food list for tonight and basically it consists of 5 sharing dishes and one main meal for each of us and desserts.  We also get an option of either sake or wine.  Sake will do us as it will fit perfectly for Japanese cuisine, isn't it right?

Warm Sake

Sharing dishes (clockwise from top left): Agedashi Tofu, Fried Gyoza, Prawn Tempura, Spicy Sashimi Salad - for salad, they have few options to choose from
Agedashi tofu taste just like any others that we ever tried before, however with this, for me personally is a little bit too salty.  For those spicy salad, it was fresh and delicious with piquant chilli dressing. We also love that prawn tempura, 3 big pieces of them perfectly coated with light and crispy tempura batter.


Assorted Nigiri (6 pieces)
 
Main: Pork Katsu

Main: Salmon Teriyaki

Black Sesame Ice Cream and Green Tea Ice Cream
Well what can I say about the food!!!!!  It was far too average comparing to so many Japanese restaurants I ever experienced in Sydney.  For the flavourwise, ehmmm...  they were just alright, some were quite tasty and fresh though but nothing outstanding.  In fact, I'm quite a diner who is pretty easy to please and not too fussy when comes to food and trying new restaurant but their dish decorations and the very boring taste of the food got nothing to wow or surprise me.  Not only that, the way they set up the table was nothing but lack of imagination and push me to the edge of boredom and disappointment !!!

Honestly speaking when it says 'value of $160.60' is actually NOT ...  Because 5 of the dishes are for sharing and the main is generally smaller than the normal size but if you look at the actual cost from groupon or living social voucher, we only need to pay around $59 for 2 people... Yeah why not for some casual dining...  But anyway, I doubt whether to return here again.

Wasabi Bistro
Shop 6B-8, 417-431 Bourke Street
Surry Hills NSW 2010
Tel. 02 9357 2076

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that is a shame. I'm sorry you found the place to be so disappointing. I haven't been there and might now just avoid it!

    ReplyDelete