22 November 2023

3 Days 2 Nights Eating Trip in Melbourne Part 5: Queen Victoria Market

Previously:

On Sunday morning, we purposedly came to Queen Victoria Market to have some breakfast.  My memory was very vivid about this market.  However, I know that this place is huge and they kinda separate into sections.  There is a fresh food section, seafood section, fruits and vegies section and general retail.  As my tummy was rumbling, so we headed straight to the deli section.  On the way in, I spotted this first deli shop selling grilled cheese sandwich.  Every time I come across cheese toastie, it is something that cannot be ignored by me.  I got one of them and add slices of ham as well.  Honestly, I was too excited with my first grub and I forgot to order some tomatoes to go with my sandwich.  

 






Triple cheese sandwich $13 with extra ham for $3

This triple cheese toastie was super duper yummmm..  It was simple but it was delicious that I don't know how to put it in a word.  But totally recommend this.  



Borek

This piece of hot borek was pretty good too.  The pastry on the outside was flaky and meat feeling was flavoursome too.



Bratwurst in a bread roll for $9

Next thing I've got was this bread roll filled with bratwurst which is a type of German pork sausage.  The pork was freshly grilled in front of you and you can even smell those lovely aromas from meters away.  I would say that this shop has the longest queue compared from the rest.  There are a few sauces and toppings available to go with the roll.  It was a really nice sausage, very thick and plump.  But out of my own preferences, I still prefer my cheese toastie, if I have to choose one.


Potato cake


After we done in the deli section, we moved onto the seafood section.  We tried both St Helen and Coffin Bay oysters.  I had never tried neither of them before. 


St Helen oyster $22.90/ dozen

I was very surprised with this oyster.  First time I had this and it blew my mind.  So far, I would that this is the best oyster I ever tried or maybe it is kinda neck to neck with Tasmanian oyster.  The meat was plump and juicy and I can taste the saltiness of the sea and weirdly, I also can taste the sweetness that I definitely couldn't find it in other varieties.  Maybe because the colder water temperature of Southern Ocean makes oyster taste a lot better.


Coffins Bay oyster $5 each

We also grabbed these Coffin Bay oysters.  Only 3 pieces because they are quite expensive.  The size is very huge as big as my palm.  However, that St Helen tastes way better than this.  Their natural taste is weaker. 

After our breakfast, we walked around the other sections of the market.  It was a nice visit especially on the bright blue sky day. 

In the corner of Queen Street and Peel Street
Open: 6am - 3pm (closed on Monday and Wednesday)


Stay tuned for the next blog still in Melbourne:

No comments:

Post a Comment