10 May 2020

Pork Belly with Marmalade Glazed

2020 is such a good numbered year, however reality appears opposite.  But do not lose our positive mind.  Hopefully this nigthmare will be over sooner than we can imagine.  I believe that we will get through this horrendous world problem together. 

Spending more time at home, makes me have more time digging into my old recipes that I had collected way long time ago.  Some of them I even haven't got chance in making them.  Like this menu today.  It is one of my fovorite protein, pork belly, glazed with marmalade and baked until tender to be enjoyed. 


First prepare your meat, remove the skin part and leave them for later.  Then mix all your glazing ingredients: orange marmalade, grated ginger, olive oil, vinegar, crushed garlic and seasonings.  Next heavily covered the pork chunk with glazing mixture.  And bake them in 180 degree pre-heated oven for one and half hour or until the meat tender thoroughly.  I like to smeared the left over glaze in the middle of cooking..

Once it done, it may look burn around the side but don't worry the meat itself tasted wonderful.  And you can go with some mashed potato or green salad on the side, I think even steamed rice if you prefer and it will go very well together.


You can serve them with some fresh greens or mashed potato.  I do both and they went amazingly together.



For the skin, such a waste to chuck it away.  Actually, I love eating pork crackling but I have never successfully attempted on my own.  This time I covered them with lemon juice and rubbed with salt all over the skin.  Then leave them to dry in the refrigerator for at least two hours before bake them in 220 degree oven.  No specific baking time here (because my one still not a triumph) but I have seen in the website that you just wait until it turns golden and all cracked.



Look at my crackling, half is perfectly crackled and another half is underdone.  Hmmmm... Still not entirely success.  I should leave them longer in the oven.  Better luck next time.

Recipe
Pork belly (skin removed)
1 kg
Orange marmalade
¼ cup
Red-wine vinegar
2 tbsp
Olive oil
2 tbsp
Grated ginger
2 tsp
Garlic, crushed
1 clove
Method
1. Preheat oven to 180⁰C. Line a baking tray with foil.
2. In a large jug, combine marmalade, vinegar, oil, ginger
    garlic. Add some seasoning.
3. Remove the skin part and cut the pork into three to four  big slices
4. Score the pork fat and place them on the prepared tray.
5. Pour marmalade mixture over and give gently massage.
5. Bake for one and half hours, or until pork cooked thoroughly.
6. Serve with mashed potato and greens
* For the skin, make it into crackling pork
   By rubbing pork skin with sea salt and leave it aside for
   minutes to dry out.  Bake it in a hot oven, 220⁰C,
   until the crackling is golden and crisp.
Serves: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment